From 1975 to 1978, Mr. Wiart served as an apprentice in his family’s metalshop in Cambrai, a city of Northern France. Then, he worked at Les Metalliers Champenois S.A. on major restoration projects of French National Historic Landmarks, such as :
- the restoration of the wrought iron gates of the Place Stanislas de Nancy (1978-1983),
- the fabrication of the repoussé ornementation of the balcony rails of the famous Cour d’Honneur of Château de Versailles (1983),
- As co-manager of the team of artisans that crafted the new torch and flame of the Statue of Liberty (1984–1986).
Starting March 1986, Mr. Wiart – who established Les Metalliers Champenois Corporation (LMC Corp) in Paterson, NJ – has been responsible for many historic restoration projects in the United States.
Here is a short list of LMC’s proudest achievements :
- General Sherman Statue, Grand Army Plaza, Central Park, New York (1989),
- The new spire for the Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church, New York (1990),
- The restoration of the Statue of Justice on New York City Hall (1996),
- The bronze entrance doors of the New York Public Library (1997),
- The University Club balconies, New York (2005-2006),
- The entrance gates of Miramar Estate on Bellevue Avenue, Newport R.I. (2008-2011).
LMC Corp. also produced considerable custom-made metalwork pieces for high-end private clients.
Back in fall 2012, Jean Wiart has embarked upon the restoration and revitalization of the family workshop located in Cambrai, North of France.
Honors and Awards :
Mr. Wiart is the recipient of the following US and French honors and medals :
- Knight in the French Order of Arts and Litterature (1984)
- Great Medal of the City of Cambrai (1987)
- Gold Medal of French Craftsmanship (1987)
- Distinguished plaque awarded by NOMMA (National Ornamental and Miscellaneous Metals Association)
- Achievement Award by the French American Chamber of Commerce (1998)
- Officer in the French Order of Merit (2001)
- Knight in the French Order of the Legion of Honor (2009)
- Paterson 225 Award (2017)
- Recipent of the trophy ‘ Artisan without borders ‘ remitted by the Chamber of Artisans of Hauts-de-France region ( 2017)
- Member of the Companions of Duty (since 1987)
- Past-Counselor to the French Foreign Trade Affairs (from 1999 until 2014 )
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Beaux Arts Alliance (New York)
- Advisory board member of the Institute for Classical Architecture & Classical America (N.Y.)
- Life member of the General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen (NYC)
- Life member of ALOA (Associated Locksmiths of America) and SAVTA (Safe And Vaults Technician Association)
- Registered member of the Trade and Craft Chamber of North of France